Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Happy New Year Ramblings...

We welcomed in the New Year with some old friends and some new ones. I always find that on the first day of the new year I tend to look back on my accomplishes and shortcomings of the previous year. I made some tremendous strides in the past year...I traveled to Denmark and saw some fabulous art, I took bold steps in learning a new painting medium (encaustics), I freed myself of some old hurtful feelings and opened myself up for new experiences. I said good bye to some old friends and hello to some new ones. Made peace with some family and personal issues and welcomed some new learning experiences. A mentor once told me that things don't happen to you, they happen for you. I find this to be true. It is up to me to look for the learning opportunities in each situation.

The new year brought the passing of yet another family member, my husband's uncle who was 63. After a long illness, he went quietly with family members by his side. It was very sad. But it made me think of my own mortality and what I will leave behind as my legacy. What do I have to offer? What will I be remembered for? The only thing I have is my art and how it will be received and remembered is totally up to me. My task for this new year will be to define that in my own terms and work towards making it happen. Beginning today!

No comments: