Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Old Painting with New Ideas



I decided to revisit an old painting with fresh eyes. I often do that when I am stuck and have problems resolving a piece. This is one I began late last year and just put away. I sat in my studio today and began looking at it again and decided to put it back up on the wall and take a go at it. Still pretty early on, but I like the feeling of it. Since I didn't get any painting done last week or this week, it was a good way to break back into the swing of it.

Tomorrow is figure painting. I am looking forward to it. For three hours. I primed and covered a couple 10 x 10 gesso boards for some small studies.

Another great interview last night on Ovation with Sally Mann. I wrote a paper comparing her nude children images with those of Maplethorp's and the paintings of Balthus' in my last year of college. Pretty interesting on how society views nudity of children in art. I enjoyed hearing her discuss those images, who by the way, were her own children.

No comments: