Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Seeing spots

After many hours of glazing this morning and feather work, I am going crossed eyed. But I am so loving the process. I am doing a lot more detail than I normally do. I don't normally glaze, but I am excited to see the deep colors come to life after I add some glazes to the fabric. Still a lot left to do. My goal today is to get the peacocks finished and then tomorrow back to work on the face and hands.


Peacock

"When the peacock lives it Tharsis, it signifies the effete. But when it is brought by the fleet to Jerusalem, it represents learned teachers. "

The main symbolism of the peacock is pride and vanity, when its tail is displayed.

But the peacock can also represent learned teachers, as "The peacock has hard flesh, resistant to decay, which can only with difficulty be cooked over a fire by a cook, or can scarcely be digested in the stomach, because of the heat of its liver. Such are the minds of teachers; they neither burn with the flame of desire, nor are they set alight by the heat of lust."

A peacock with its tail down (rather than displayed) can be a sign of humility, of restraining one's pride as the peacock resists displaying its tail.

No comments: