Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Catching Up

I know I haven't posted since Venice, but with a hectic schedule, we return back to our room exhausted each day. No energy to post.

Since my last post, we have been to Florence, Tirrenia, Livorno, Pisa, Siena, San Girmignano, Piensa and Montpunciano, not to mention the trip to Castelina in Chianti. All the walking, as many of the old cities are up on hilltops and require massive climbing to reach the top. Siena has installed an escalator to help with some of the journey. The food and the wine everywhere has been fabulous. View from our room in Florence on the Arlo, the other side was of the Ponte Vecchio Bridge. We visited Santo Spirito Church and the Leather district. I saw the original David at the Accademia and the reproduction in the piazza.

Tomorrow we drive back to Florence to return the rental car and then catch the train down to Rome to finish up our trip. Hard to believe that two weeks have crept up so quickly.

Sunday we headed back to Florence to spend the day as three days there was just not enough. We made reservation to the Uffizi and spent the day wondering the rooms of such treasures from artists such as Michelangelo, DaVinci, Botticelli, Giotto and the special treat of the day was the "Judith with the head of Holofenes" by Artemesia Gentileschi. I was sure I had died and gone to heaven at that point. We ended our day at Santa Croce where we visited the resting places of Michelangelo, Danti, Donatello and Galileo.

I have a ton of photos to upload but will do that when I return home. I will try to categorize everything by city and date. Lots of prep work to do though. Lots of information to absorb.

More to come once we arrive in Rome tomorrow.

No comments: