Thursday, September 13, 2007

More on Kiefer

"One always wants to be someone else. I myself would like to be a poet, and use nothing but a pen, But that's not how it is" Anselm Kiefer

Yesterday I ventured off on a journey by myself. I downloaded instructions from Mapquest and drove out to Philly. My mission? The Philadelphia Museum of Art. As I walked up the steps to the entrance of the museum, I was so taken back by the infamous Rocky image of the victory run as I watched two young guys pose at the top of the steps while their girlfriends snapped photos of the event. I laughed and walked on. Once in the museum, I was in heaven as I perused the halls of many European favorites quickly while making my way back to see a Kiefer painting. Only to be disappointed when I was told I couldn't take a photo of this fabulous piece. I was so disappointed, but I went right to the museum shop and was able to find a great book with all the paintings to purchase. Now I can view many of his works without having to travel the world, although his paintings are so much more impressive in person. There is something so raw and enormous about his works that I am really relating to on some level these days.

There was a great collection of Bosch and Bruegal paintings on exhibition also. I would of loved to have seen Garden of Earthly Delights. That will be another time. There was so much to take in. But what a fabulous collection of work they have. There was even Munch's Mermaid painting.

Possibly today or tomorrow, I may venture to the Brandywine River Museum to see many of the Wyeth's collectios.

No comments: