Friday, June 1, 2007

Kronborg Castle and Hamlet

On one of our days in Denmark, we went to the Kronborg Castle, where it is said that Shakespeare got his inspiration for Hamlet. The castle was amazing with all the doorways, windows and fabulous sculptures. There were paintings that were recovered that depicted the Seven Ages of Man, Seven Liberal Arts and Planet paintings. Tapestries lined a room that gave a history of the Kings past and their legacies. Being born in the US, I often forget that there is a whole history out there that has nothing to do with the US. Most of these paintings were painting before the U ever came into existence. It is hard to fathom how young of a country the US actually is.

We also spent the day in Copenhagen at the Statens Museum for Kunst. In the atrium, a huge exhibition by the sculptor Jorgen Sorensen was there. I am still trying to sort out his work. It was definitely socially motivated and he used pigs and dogs to show the human condition. I reserve my opinions for now. There was also a wonderful collection of modern art and expressionistic art there to see.

There is still so much that I am processing and I am still getting my photos into place. Once I get them in order I will post the ones I think are worthy. There are lots of them.

Off to the gallery to check on what needs to be replaced if anything.

No comments: